FREE Summer Concerts, Shows, Lessons, and More in New York's Capital Region
Free Summer Programs in Albany, Schenectady, Troy, and beyond!
Did someone say free? See concerts, play sports, take in a show, all for free! Come & get 'em, And share this list with your friends!
Free Concert Series
- Freedom Park in Scotia includes a wide variety of concerts and shows on various days.
- Music Haven Concert Series is on Sunday nights at 7 pm in Schenectady's Central Park and features international music.
- Performing Arts at the Common includes concerts on Sunday nights at 7 pm in Clifton Commons in Clifton Park.
- There are Free Concerts in Saratoga's Congress Park at 7 pm on Sundays in July and Tuesdays in August.
- There are Free Concerts on Mondays at 7 pm in Rotterdam.
- The Town of Schodack has Free Concerts on Tuesdays at 6 pm June through early July.
- Tuesday Nights in the Park at Cook Park in Colonie are on Tuesdays at 6:30 pm.
- Made in the Shade of the Egg Concert Series are on Wednesdays at noon in downtown Albany.
- Rockin' on the River are on Wednesday nights at 5 pm in Troy.
- Capital Concert Series includes reggae, rock, and rhythm & blues on Wednesday nights at 5 or 5:30 pm at Albany's Empire State Plaza.
- The Barker Park Series in Troy offers concerts and shows geared toward kids and families on Thursdays at 11 am.
- Jazz on Jay offers jazz on Thursdays at noon in downtown Schenectady.
- Alive at Five offers a variety of music on Thursdays at 5 pm in downtown Albany.
- Rock the Block concert series is on Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm in Cohoes.
- Concerts in the Park are at the gazebo in Delanson on Thursdays at 6:30 pm throught September 15.
- Concerts in the Gazebo are in Niskayuna, on Thursdays at 7 pm.
- Glenville Thursdays in the Park will include concerts or movies every Thursday at 7 pm in August.
- Concerts in Wiswall Park are at 6 pm on Thursdays in Ballston Spa.
- Free Concerts at the Crossings are on Thursdays at 6:30 pm.
- Riverlink Concerts in Amsterdam are usually on Saturdays at 7 pm.
- Bowtie Cinema in Schenectady and Bowtie Cinema at Wilton Mall both offer free kid-friendly movies on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (and yes, Regal Cinemas offer movies for $1--almost free).
- They'll be showing free movies in the Capitol Park After Dark in West Capitol Park (near Empire State Plaza) in August.
- The Palace will be offering "Summer in the City" free kid-friendly movies on Tuesdays in July & August at 1 pm. Click here for a complete list.
- Proctors will be showing family-friendly movies on Sundays at 10 am and 1:30 pm in July and August.
- You can catch Ragtime through most of July and The Music Man for the first three weeks of August at the Park Playhouse in Washington Park. P
- The Lion King Jr. is playing at Cohoes Music Hall from August 22-26.
- Performing Arts Family Series are kid-friendly shows on Wednesday nights at 7 pm at Clifton Common.
- They'll also be presenting Fiddler on the Roof and Aladdin Jr. at Clifton Common.
- You can see Shakespeare in Congress Park in Saratoga Springs. This summer they're presenting "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "The Winter's Tale."
- Dad Fest in Washington Park
- Kids Day at the Plaza (featuring PJ Masks) at Empire State Plaza
- Black Arts & Cultural Festival at Empire State Plaza
- New York State Food Festival at Empire State Plaza
Active Free Fun
- 15 Love offers free tennis lessons (they'll even supply the racquets!) at a variety of locations throughout Albany, Schenectady, and Troy between June 26 and August 9. Click the link for a complete schedule.
- Kids Bowl Free offers 2 free games (check the link for participating bowling alleys and the days that free games are available).
- Free Fitness Classes in Troy's Riverfront Park run on Sunday mornings from 9-10 am. These seem geared toward adults, but they're labeled family friendly.
- Many New York State Parks offer free swim lessons each year. Warning: these fill up quickly.
And Don't Forget . . .
- The US Water Ski Show Team performs free shows next to Jumpin' Jacks most Tuesday nights June through August.
- Your local library
- Stories and Art in Washington Park on Monday mornings and other free programs from WMHT
- The New York State Museum
- GE Kids in Free Days
- Hungry? Find free summer meals
- Take a hike
- Visit a new playground
© 2017, KidsOutAndAbout.com