Wildlife Ecology Research for High School Students
Wildlife Ecology Research is an intensive 2-week day program where high school students learn basic ecological principles through hands-on research experience.
The Huyck Preserve is a 2,000+ acre nature preserve and biological research station located in Rensselaerville, NY. We are dedicated to connecting students with nature through our summer programs focused on hands-on science and nature exploration.
Wildlife Ecology Research is an intensive 2-week day program where high school students learn basic ecological principles through hands-on research experience. Ecologists from colleges and universities around the region will instruct students on broad topics in ecology. Wildlife Ecology Research culminates in small group research projects. This program aims to provide a significant academic experience that will help students prepare for courses and research experiences at the college level while letting them explore career options in the natural sciences.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to do the following:
- Identify interesting and important research topics and create research protocols using the scientific method
- Understand and implement common field techniques for sampling plant and animal populations
- Hone critical thinking and observation skills
- Effectively communicate on a research topic
- Establish connections with professionals in the field and other students with similar interests
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.
$475 Huyck Preserve Members, $550 Nonmembers