What to Do on Black Friday Instead of Shopping!
by Katie Beltramo
If the thought of rushing into a shopping frenzy on such a full stomach makes you feel a little sick, here are some ideas for continuing the family quality time on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Check our calendar for more.
We could all use a little activity, and we're heading into winter. Take a pause from the rush and embrace the weather as it is now, with your family as it is today.
- Go for a hike
- Play a game of touch football or soccer
- Rake your neighbor's leaves
- Go skiing! Yes, a few places are open already!
Putter & Snuggle
Recover from the cooking and the traveling and fortify yourself for the busy weeks ahead by unplugging from the devices and hunkering down for some mellow, cozy family time.
- Make a fire in the fireplace
- Snuggle under the blanket with a stack of books
- Build card houses or work a jigsaw puzzle together
- Have a board game marathon
Get Active Indoors
You've got to work off all that food, but it's too cold outside for you? Try something new--or an old favorite--with the whole family.
- Roller skate
- Rock climb
- Ice skate
Prepare for the Season
If your To Do list is making you fret, choose an activity that will help you check an item off the list while emphasizing fun together time--now that's the spirit!
- Cut your own Christmas tree
- Craft holiday ornaments or decorations
- Ponder cookie or gift recipes to try
- Gather greens to decorate or make a wreath
All Right—If You Must Shop
Consider alternative gifts beyond what you'll find in tv ads or behind the automatic doors of the national retail chains.
- Shop museum gift shops for unique items
- Consider charitable giving options
- Stroll Main Street
- Seek out experience gifts, like tickets to a show, memberships to a gym, or lessons
- Click here for a chart showing different membership rates for the attractions in our area
© 2017 Katie Beltramo.
Katie Beltramo, a mom of two, is editor of Kids Out and About for New York's Capital Region. She also blogs at Capital District Fun.