FREE Summer Concerts, Shows, Lessons, and More in New York's Capital Region
Free Summer Programs in Albany, Schenectady, Troy, and beyond!
Did someone say free? See concerts, play sports, take in a show, all for free! Come & get 'em, And share this list with your friends!
Free Concert Series
- Freedom Park in Scotia includes a wide variety of concerts and shows on various days.
- Music Haven Concert Series is on Sunday nights at 7 pm in Schenectady's Central Park and features international music. Music Haven is also hosting other special events.
- Performing Arts at the Common includes concerts on Sunday nights at 7 pm in Clifton Commons in Clifton Park.
- There are Free Concerts in Saratoga's Congress Park at 7 pm on Sundays in July and Tuesdays in August.
- The Town of Rotterdam offers Free Concerts at 7 pm on Mondays.
- The Town of Schodack has Free Concerts on Tuesdays at 6 pm June through early July.
- Tuesday Nights in the Park at Cook Park in Colonie are on Tuesdays at 6:30 pm.
- Rockin' on the River are on Wednesday nights at 5 pm in Troy.
- Capital Concert Series includes reggae, rock, and rhythm & blues on Wednesday nights at 5 or 5:30 pm at Albany's Empire State Plaza.
- Concerts in the Barn are on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm at Pruyn House in Colonie.
- The Barker Park Series in Troy offers concerts and shows geared toward kids and families on Thursdays at 11 am.
- Jazz on Jay offers jazz on Thursdays at noon in downtown Schenectady.
- Alive at Five offers a variety of music on Thursdays at 5 pm in downtown Albany.
- Rock the Block concert series is on Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm in Cohoes.
- Concerts in the Park are at the gazebo in Delanson on Thursdays at 6:30 pm.
- Concerts in the Gazebo are in Niskayuna, on Thursdays at 7 pm.
- Glenville Thursdays in the Park will include concerts or movies every Thursday at 7 pm in August.[This hasn't yet been updated for 2019.]
- Concerts in Wiswall Park are at 6 pm on Thursdays in Ballston Spa.
- Free Concerts at the Crossings are on Thursdays at 6 pm.
- Riverlink Concerts in Amsterdam are usually on Saturdays at 7 pm.
- Bowtie Cinema in Schenectady and Bowtie Cinema at Wilton Mall both offer free kid-friendly movies on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (and yes, Regal Cinemas offer movies for $1--almost free).
- They'll be showing free movies in the Capitol Park After Dark in West Capitol Park (near Empire State Plaza): Double Indemnity on Thursday, August 21 & My Fair Lady on Thursday, August 28.
- The Palace will be offering "Summer in the City" free kid-friendly movies on Tuesdays in July & August at 1 pm.
- Cohoes Music Hall is showing free "Just for Kids" movies on Wednesdays at 1 pm.
- Proctors will be showing family-friendly movies on Sundays at 10 am and 1:30 pm in July and August.
- See recent family-favorite Movies Under the Stars on select Friday nights in Washington Park, Sage College, College of St. Rose, or SUNY Albany.
- Will Kempe's Players will be presenting A Midsummer Night's Dream in Troy's Prospect Park June 21-23 as well as Hamlet later in the summer.
- You can catch In the Heights through most of July and Newsies for the first three weeks of August at the Park Playhouse in Washington Park
- Beauty and the Beast is playing at Cohoes Music Hall from July 30 - August 3.
- Performing Arts Family Series are kid-friendly shows on Wednesday nights at 7 pm at Clifton Common.
- They'll also be presenting Beauty and the Beast at Clifton Common from July 19 - July 28.
- You can see Shakespeare in Congress Park in Saratoga Springs. This summer they're presenting The Tempest and King Lear.
- There's free Shakespeare in Cook Park in Colonie in August. [This hasn't yet been updated for 2019.]
- Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery on June 16 in Albany [This wasn't updated for 2019] and Schenectady.
- Troy Riverfest on June 16.
- Dad Fest in Washington Park on June 17.
- Kids Day at the Plaza (featuring The Beat Bugs) at Empire State Plaza on July 13.
- Black Arts & Cultural Festival at Empire State Plaza is August 3.
- New York State Food Festival at Empire State Plaza is August 7.
Active Free Fun
- 15 Love offers free tennis lessons (they'll even supply the racquets!) at a variety of locations throughout Albany, Schenectady, and Troy between June 26 and August 9. Click the link for a complete schedule.
- Kids Bowl Free offers 2 free games (check the link for participating bowling alleys and the days that free games are available).
- Free Fitness Classes in Troy's Riverfront Park run on Sunday mornings from 9-10 am. These seem geared toward adults, but they're labeled family friendly.
- There are free HIIT classes on Tuesdays and free yoga classes on Thursdays at Empire State Plaza.
- Many New York State Parks offer free swim lessons each year. Warning: these fill up quickly.
And Don't Forget . . .
- The US Water Ski Show Team performs free shows next to Jumpin' Jacks most Tuesday nights June through August.
- Your local library
- Stories and Art in Washington Park on Monday mornings and other free programs from WMHT
- The New York State Museum
- GE Kids in Free Days
- Hungry? Find free summer meals
- Take a hike
- Visit a new playground
© 2019, KidsOutAndAbout.com